Friday, December 14, 2007

Wow! A great scooter dog!

OK, Tango is definitely a great scooter dog. He is really doing well, and he is eager to run, eager to please, and really the only scary part of todays run was when he and Teddy both saw a squirrel as we were going downhill around a corner in the rain... He has started to take up Teddy's habit of working out the excitement of wanting to chase something by just running a bit faster which is OK by me as it is definitely preferable to following critters over lawns, through shrubs, etc.

We also did more "doggie drill team" today. It was a bit more successful than yesterday, I actually got the two of them to sit down and/or lie down at the same time more than once.

I took a little video of it, if it's not too dull I'll post it. Otherwise, I'll just shoot more until it looks good:-)

Also, I have to get some video of the scootering - the lighting just wasn't very good today because it was raining.

The scootering seems to be helping to calm him down some, he's still pretty rowdy at times, but he is crashed out in his crate right now.

I think Tango would probably be a great agility dog. He is very people-focused and he is very trainable. He is both food and praise motivated and he likes the stimulation of having school.

He's getting better about personal space. Every time he comes up and pushes his face at me, I push him away, have him sit, and then pet him as long as he remains sitting. For a guy his height, that's a pretty essential social skill and he's definitely picking up on it.

He still wants to play all the time and gets kind of loud about it, but we are working on stop and outside when the volume gets a little too high.

Today he started going outside and hanging out in the yard by himself a bit. This is progress because previously he wouldn't stay out there unless I was there too. In general, though, you don't have to worry about where he is, because where he likes to be most is right next to you.

A thing I have noticed about him since I have had him is that he has obviously been trained to stay off of the furniture. My dogs all hang out on the sofa, chairs, bed, whatever, but Tango doesn't get up on the furniture, even if invited. Upon reflection, I have decided that I'll maintain and reinforce this behavior so that he doesn't have to relearn it.

Tango has continued to be very good about house training and has not had an accident in the house except the aforementiond Roomba incident. Actually, today he and Teddy were playing and one of them turned the Roomba on by stepping on it and it commenced shuttling around the room as they were wrestling. It was kind of funny to see that although they were very involved in playing, they never once stepped on it while it was moving around...

No comments: